TECHNICAL WRITING AND COMMUNICATION
COURSE OUTLINE TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION
A TECHNICAL APPROACH TO WRITING:
HOW one writes is as important as WHAT one writes. So, language itself is important to enable readers to understand and believe the written text. Language impacts a reader's ability to comprehend and assimilate what a writer is presenting.
Furthermore, people can, and do, judge things by outward appearances all the time, it is essential to make good impressions when communicating in a business setting. When one communicates (whether writing, giving a speech, or talking on the phone) information must be presented effectively and to a large degree, attractively.
These elements strongly affect perceived writer and organizational credibility and professionalism -- highly sought after commodities for individual and organizational success.
Format, organization, and style are important in that they make information available, accessible, and readable. Format and the like are the "how" of a written presentation. Format choices can give a document the highly sought after technical or business "look" organizations hopes for. In essence, this is part of "corporate identity" promotion.
- Learning Outcomes
- Gain a better understanding of issues in business writing
- Review basic concepts in document construction
- Learn to use documentation writing tools effectively
- Learn how user manuals, instructional manuals, minutes of meeting, business proposals, & business reports are structured in a professional environment
- Master techniques for improved proofreading skills
- Learn how peer reviews can help improve business writing skills
- Learn guidelines for printing & publishing business writing
- Gain valuable insight into international etiquette.
|1||Understanding the acronym "P.O.W.E.R"
|2||Structuring of the Document
|3||Interviewing the Subject Matter Expert (SME)
|4||Writing Meeting Agendas
|5||Writing User Manuals, Instruction Manuals etc.
|6||Writing Minutes of Meeting (MOM)
|8||Other Types of Documents
|10||Finishing Documents - Avoid the Cringe
|Feedback||Post Assessment, Feedback, Certificates Distribution|